The family liaison service, based at Royal Brompton Hospital, is a non medical/nursing team that can support you from your child’s admission through to discharge.
There are lots of people involved in the care of your child; we realise that the parents and carers also need to be cared for. Being in hospital with your child can be stressful, especially when you are a long way from home and other members of your family.
You may need to be referred to other teams in our department. If you agree we can do this; we will still continue to support you. We will speak with you in confidence, but if we are worried about you or your child we have a duty to speak to the relevant agencies.
How can we help you?
• We like to meet with you and find out about you and your family.
• We will listen to your worries and concerns and tell you about the different ways we can help.
• We can speak with other hospital staff and outside agencies on your behalf, with your permission.
• We can help you with filling out forms, such as Disability Living Allowance.
• We can help you if you are worried about the other children in your family while you are in hospital.
• We can speak with the welfare officer on your behalf, or put you in touch, if you are experiencing financial or housing difficulties.
• If needed, we can contact the accommodation office for you when your child is coming in for surgery.
• We can arrange for an appropriate person to sit with your child if you need a break, but are worried about leaving your child.
• If we cannot help you directly, we will find out who can.
How to find a member of the family liaison team
Ask any member of staff on Rose Ward or on the paediatric intensive care unit (PICU) and they will put you in contact with us.
You can also contact us directly
Telephone 020 7352 8121 and ask the operator for extension 8588 or for bleep 1274 or 1250.
We work 8.00am-6.00pm, Monday to Thursday, and 8.00am-5.30pm on Fridays.