Fundraising Guidelines

However you decide to fundraise, you need to make sure that you stay within the law.

Please ensure that you are clear to your sponsors and those who have made donations about how much money will be given to The Brompton Fountain. For example if some of the money raised will be used to cover your events costs make sure they know that.

Using our fundraising materials can also help you raise more money – our sponsor forms include a section to collect Gift Aid which means that every £1 donated by UK tax payers, could be worth £1.25, at no extra cost to your supporters.

Holding a raffle

Raffles have always been a popular fundraising event but it’s important to make sure your raffle doesn’t break any gambling laws. There are different types of raffles, each of which is governed by different rules.

To help you, we’ve outlined the different raffles below:

The simplest raffle to organise is at events you are staging to raise money for your event (for example a fun day). These types of raffle don’t need a licence, as long as you only sell tickets to people at the event and you draw the winner at the event too. If you’re using proceeds from the raffle to cover costs and pay for prizes, make sure you don’t use more than £100 on costs (such as tickets) and no more than £500 on prizes.

If you are planning to sell raffle tickets outside of an event that you are organising, please email us for more information as you may need to obtain a licence from your local authority.

Another option is to run a free prize draw but ask for donations. Again, you wouldn’t need a licence for this but you would need to make sure that people could still enter, even if they didn’t make a donation. If you ask for donations instead of charging a set amount per person, you don’t have to follow as many rules when organising the competition.

Competitions and quiz nights are another fun way to raise money. Don’t make the questions too easy, as there needs to be an element of skill involved but you can charge for entry to help you on your way towards your fundraising target.

Supermarket and public collections

Collections are a great way to increase your fundraising and also help raise awareness of our charity and Royal Brompton Hospital. We can provide you with charity collection buckets, collection pots and stickers.

If you want to organise a collection in a public place, you will need to make sure that you have the appropriate licence from your local authority. Collections on private property won’t require a licence but you will need permission from the owner, for example, asking the store manager of your local supermarket, if you would like to collect in their store or car park.

Please note that whilst you want to encourage as many people as possible to donate you must remember not to obstruct people’s paths or annoy the public.

It’s important to think about how you will make sure your money is secure, both during and after the collection.


Auctions are another great way to raise money and some people are often willing to spend over the odds for items if they know the money is going to a good cause.

Although you’ll want to encourage people to pay as much money as possible for your lots, it’s important not to miss-sell items. Please be clear about the quality and value of the lots so that people know exactly what they’re bidding for.

It’s advisable to come up with some terms and conditions before the auction. For example, what will you do if one of the lots is no longer available after someone has paid for it? What will happen if someone doesn’t pay up after their bid has been accepted? You’ll also want to think about the reserve price that you want to set.

In some cases, you may be able to Gift Aid the money you make from the auction but this will need to be arranged in advance. Please contact us to find out how you might be able to increase the value of your auction funds.


If you’re organising a fundraising event of your own, you may need to obtain a licence from your local authority, to think about health and safety food allergies and insurance.

This can include allowing you to sell alcohol at your event. Most venues already have licences which you can use, so check with the venue about whether you will need a special licence. You might also need a separate licence for playing music. It’s best to check with your local authority about what permissions and licences you need in advance or contact us for advice.

As with any fundraising activity, it’s important to think about health and safety. Carrying out a risk assessment can help you identify any potential problems and how they can be avoided. You should also think about whether your event will be accessible to everyone. It’s generally up to the venue to take reasonable steps so that it is accessible but you want to make sure you choose a venue that all your guests can get to.

If you’re supplying food, think about what ingredients are used. Some people may have allergies to certain foodstuffs so you’ll need to be able to let them know if they need to avoid certain foods.

The Brompton Fountain cannot insure any of your events or other fundraising activities for you so it might be sensible to take out your own insurance (but this will partly depend on what you’re organising). Public liability insurance isn’t mandatory but it can be prudent, especially if your event is open to the public.

The above list is a guide only, please contact us for further advice.