Our campaign to save heart and lung services at Royal Brompton
NHS England has launched a public consultation on plans to end congenital heart disease (CHD) services at Royal Brompton Hospital. If this plan went ahead it would not just force CHD services to close, but would also close a range of other services – including the hospital’s child intensive care unit, it’s world-famous CHD research unit, and a range of child services including cystic fibrosis and difficult asthma. Over 14,000 patients would be affected.
NHS England say their plans are part to improve CHD care standards. But it makes no sense to try and improve standards by closing one of the country’s biggest, safest and most effective services, nor one of the most celebrated research units in the world.
THESE PLANS MAKE NO SENSE.
We need YOUR help to make sure they are stopped.
- NHS England cannot explain how their plans would in any way make things better for patients.
- They have refused to say how much their plans would cost the NHS and tax-payer, though we know it will be many millions of pounds.
- They have ignored the impact this will have on all the patients affected by the closure of the services other than CHD.
- They haven’t thought about how closing the world’s leading CHD research unit will impact on future treatments and care standards.
- They have ignored all the evidence showing that Royal Brompton has already achieved everything they say they want to achieve with their plans.
- They say their plans are backed by most doctors and patients, but we know this isn’t true.
How can I help?
- Respond to the public consultation. For helpful advice on how to do do this you can download our information guide
- Write to your MP – again if you have already done so – asking them to tell Secretary of State for Health, Jeremy Hunt MP, to overrule the plans
- Sign up for updates on future campaign activity – email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter to help spread the word. Use the hashtag #BromptonPatientsMatter
- Change your social media profile picture by adding a twibbon to show your support